Recently I stood in the center of Little Miss Toddlers room shaking my head. She had just dumped a bunch of toys everywhere and ran for the hills. It was a new game she named on her very own called “Make a Mess” What I could not figure out was with so many toys why would she just keep dumping everything and taking off. Then a light came on.
There were just too many toys.
Like way too many. Some really useless, noise making, no imagination needed toys. It was time to sort, declutter and put away some of these things. So Little Miss Toddler and I worked on that over last weekend. The list I am giving you is essentially what she is left with now in her room.
Then after things were gone and what was left was put away Little Miss Toddler did something she had not done in a long time.
She sat at her table and colored, then she put a puzzle together…She played with her toys.
Less IS more.
This is our Most LOVED by Little Miss Toddler Toy List
- Cars and trucks
- Blocks (Wooden and plastic interlocking types)
- Baby dolls
- Something to push around such as a doll stroller or a shopping cart
- Kitchen set, dishes and pretend food
- Wooden puzzles
- Crayons, coloring book and a scribble pad
- Dress up clothes simple things to put on such as funny hats, sunglasses and the like.
- A play set such as a doll house, garage, or castle that includes people, cars, and animals
- Stacking cups
- A shape sorting toy
- A ride on toy or trike
- A child size table and chairs
- Play dough
- Non-toxic or homemade paints
- A bin for playing with water, rice, beans or other sensory items
- Barbies just because our little REALLY loves them
Often times the most simple things provide hours of fun for a young child. Water play is an excellent example of this.
Open-ended toys that allow imagination to take over are most often the best choices.
If you enjoyed this post please be sure to subscribe below and share this post with your friends. Oh, and we love your comments and ideas!
Subscribe to Blog via Email